We can help you raise cash from the community for urgent needs. Since 2020, our volunteer Direct Giving group has responded to about 120 requests for aid. We help in one or more of these ways:
- offer information on local resources that may help with specific needs,
- referral to community groups and agencies that offer assistance,
give cash from Montclair Mutual Aid donors, or do a crowdfunding campaign on social media directly for individual recipients,(on pause as of September 2022, while we raise more funds within the Montclair area community),
- publicize and promote individuals’ existing crowdfunding campaigns in social media.
Examples of the urgent needs for which we’ve directed cash include:
- rent for mother and children leaving a domestic violence situation,
- debris clearing for senior with home wind damage,
- childcare for single mom to allow work hours,
- car repairs for single dad,
- security deposit for new apartment after hurricane flood,
- rent for person with disability who lost job during illness,
- bills for student who lost financial aid during Covid absence,
- cremation for deceased relative,
- prenatal medications and care for pregnant mom,
- motel room for evicted parent and child.
Cash recipents must be local, in Montclair or neighboring towns; we meet briefly in person with each cash recipient. There are no other requirements and no documents requested – only an urgent need.
- To request help, contact our Direct Giving group at tiny.one/mtcma or +1 973-707-3355 x1.
- To do volunteer tasks with our Direct Giving group, contact us at tiny.one/mtcma.
- To donate cash for our Direct Giving program, you can Venmo to @montclairmutualaid (-9044), or mail a check to Montclair Mutual Aid, PO Box 1773, Montclair, NJ 07042. Write “Direct Giving” in the memo. 100% of MtcMA Direct Giving donations go to individual recipients who have expressed urgent need.