Montclair crisis, well-being, health resources
How can I find immediate crisis help in Montclair?
- SOFIA (Start Out Fresh Intervention Advocates, supportsofia.org, Montclair), hotline +1 862-251-6791, provides domestic violence victims and survivors with assistance and encourages them to be positive, self-sufficient and successful.
- New Jersey Coalition to End Domestic Violence (njcedv.org), hotline for abuse and domestic violence (confidential and anonymous) +1 800-572-7233. Searchable directory of NJ programs and services.
- Essex County Family Justice Center (essexcountyfjc.org), Smith Public Safety Building, 60 Nelson Place, floor 2, Newark, NJ 07102. Monday–Friday 8:30am–4:30pm. During Covid-19 pandemic call +1 973-230-7229. Crisis intervention, enhanced safety planning, filing for emergency Restraining Order (TRO), assistance from law enforcement professionals, assistance from Victim Witness Advocate, support groups, counseling, linkages with emergency shelter and housing assistance, civil legal and immigration assistance, medical and behavioral health screenings and linkages to service providers. All services are free and confidential.
- The Safe House, Bloomfield, NJ. 24-hour crisis help hotline +1 973-759-2154. Office +1 973-759-2378. Emergency shelter in a safe and supportive environment for victims of domestic violence and their children. Counseling, case management, legal advocacy, children’s program, food, clothing, personal necessities, transportation, financial assistance through welfare, housing advocacy, parenting classes, support groups, medical care, pre-school program, summer day camp, immigration referrals, linkage to community services, non-residential counseling. Spanish-speaking staff is available, and access to the Language Line for translation.
- NJCASA (New Jersey Coalition Against Sexual Assault, njcasa.org), 2333 Whitehorse-Mercerville Road, Suite J, Trenton, NJ 08619. 24-hour hotline +1 800-601-7200. Office +1 609-631-4450. Free hotline and crisis intervention, information, referral services, short-term crisis counseling and post-rape counseling, advocacy, support groups, emergency needs, accompaniment to hospital, police department, and court.
- Babyland Family Services (babylandfamilyservices.org), 755 South Orange Avenue, Newark, NJ 07106. 24-hour hotline +1 973-484-4446. Contact Dorothy Harsh. Office +1 973-399-3400. Free family violence program and service for battered women. Psychotherapy for individuals and group therapy. Emergency shelter. Foster parent services.
- Access Family Services (afsnj.org), One Gateway Center, Suite 2600, Newark, NJ 07102. 24-hour crisis help +1 862-444-3126. Empowerment in transitioning from domestic violence and homelessness.
- SAVE (Sexual Assault and Violence Education) of Essex County (familyserviceleague.org), 440 Franklin Street, Suite 200, Bloomfield, NJ 07003. Rape and sexual violence confidential hotline +1 877-733-2273, 24 hours. Information, support, and referrals to survivors of sexual assault and their families, friends, and significant others. Medical and legal accompaniments. Counseling program and prevention and outreach education: +1 973-746-0800.
- University Hospital crisis hotline (rutgershealth.org), +1 973-623-2323. 24-hour emergency and crisis psychiatric evaluation and treatment, on- and off-site, for adults and children. Rape crisis assistance. Two locations: Crisis Services Clinic at University Behavioral Health Center in Newark; Psychiatric Emergency Services/Screening Center at University Hospital, Newark.
- Manavi Center for South Asian Women (manavi.org), New Brunswick, NJ. Hotline +1 732-435-1414. Crisis intervention and advocacy; culture-specific counseling; court and medical accompaniment; women’s support group; legal clinic and referrals; immigration relief and gender asylum; interpreter services; economic empowerment; safe home; transportation as needed; outreach and education; training and technical assistance.
How can I get non-emergency help in Montclair?
- Planned Parenthood of Metropolitan New Jersey (plannedparenthood.org), 29 North Fullerton Avenue, Montclair, NJ 07042. Phone +1 973-746-7116. Women’s gynecological services: birth control, gynecological exams, emergency contraception, testing and treatment for sexually transmitted diseases, mid-life service and hormone replacement therapy, pregnancy testing and counseling, family and teen educational services. Male services for partners of clients: free oral HIV testing and counseling, free condoms and information on all birth control methods including referrals for vasectomy. Sliding-scale fee based on income. Open to all income levels.
- Women’s Therapy Service (womenstherapy.net), 33 Plymouth Street, Suite 105, Montclair, NJ 07042. Phone +1 973-783-2292. Professional psychological care of women’s medical and mental health issues. Assessment and treatment of depression and anxiety. Relationship and marital issues, parenting dilemmas, alternative lifestyles, postpartum depression, infertility, and sexual abuse. Referrals to and collaboration with local supportive physicians, gynecologists, psychiatrists, and oncologists. Quality child and adolescent psychotherapy for the assessment and early intervention of pediatric mental health concerns.
- Partners for Women and Justice (pfwj.org), 650 Bloomfield Avenue, #209, Bloomfield, NJ 07003. Free legal help to victims and survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault with cases pending in New Jersey Family Court: +1 973-233-0111.
- Clifton Behavioral Healthcare (servbhs.net), 777 Bloomfield Avenue, Suite B, Clifton, NJ 07012. Phone +1 973-594-0125, +1 973-652-8193, +1 833-CAN-SERV. Educational and support groups; family, couples and individual counseling; adult and child psychiatric consultation; medication monitoring and follow-up. Non-profit mental health provider, low cost, open to people on public assistance like SNAP, WIC, Medicaid.
- Slucker Center for Women (centerforwomennj.org), 13 West Mount Pleasant Avenue, Suite 325, Livingston, NJ 07039. Phone +1 973-994-4994. Services for women: peer support groups, teen dating violence, job readiness, financial fitness, women’s workshops, law. Nonprofit, fee based, nominal for some programs, free for some. Open to all income levels.
- Rachel Coalition (jfsmetrowest.org), 256 Columbia Turnpike, Suite 105, Florham Park, NJ 07932. Call +1 973-740-1233 for: individual counseling by licensed clinical social workers; child-focused individual and group counseling; group services; legal assistance by attorneys for restraining orders and related matters; referrals for shelter with kosher provisions; information, referral, education, and outreach.
- WIC (Women, Infants, Children) in New Jersey (fns.usda.gov), 185 Central Avenue, Suites 505-507, East Orange, NJ 07018. Phone +1 973-395-8960. Federal supplemental food program promotes health in mothers and children through access to health care, counseling, and supplemental foods that are rich in nutrients. Based on income and size of family.
- Adolescent/teen pregnancy hotline: Family Planning Association of NJ +1 609-393-8423.
- Horizon Health Center hotline +1 201-451-6300.
- Breast cancer advocacy and resources: South Jersey Breast Cancer Coalition +1 856-768-9028
- Domestic violence advocacy: NJ Coalition for Battered Women +1 609-584-8107
- Reproductive healthcare education: Horizon Health Center +1 201-451-6300.